Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Criminal Justice & Corrections at American University

Find Schools Near

Criminal Justice & Corrections at American University

Criminal Justice & Corrections is one of the majors in the homeland security, law enforcement & firefighting program at American University.

We've gathered data and other essential information about the program, such as the average salary of graduates, ethnicity of students, how many students graduated in recent times, and more. In addition, we cover how The American University ranks in comparison to other schools with criminal justice programs.

Go directly to any of the following sections:

Featured Criminal Justice & Corrections Programs

Learn about start dates, transferring credits, availability of financial aid, and more by contacting the universities below.

ADVERTISEMENT

Criminal Justice & Corrections Degrees Available at The American University

The American University Criminal Justice Rankings

In College Factual's most recent rankings for the best schools for criminal justice majors, The American University came in at #14. This puts it in the top 5% of the country in this field of study. It is also ranked #2 in District of Columbia.

Ranking Type Rank
Highest Paid Doctor’s Degree Criminal Justice & Corrections Graduates 4
Best Criminal Justice & Corrections Doctor’s Degree Schools 6
Best Criminal Justice & Corrections Bachelor’s Degree Schools 9
18
18
Best Criminal Justice & Corrections Master’s Degree Schools 20
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Criminal Justice & Corrections (Income $48-$75k) 22
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Criminal Justice & Corrections (Income $0-$30k) 23
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Criminal Justice & Corrections (Income Over $110k) 23
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Criminal Justice & Corrections (Income $75-$110k) 23
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Criminal Justice & Corrections (Income $30-$48k) 23
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Criminal Justice & Corrections (With Aid) 25
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Criminal Justice & Corrections 26
72
Highest Paid Bachelor’s Degree Criminal Justice & Corrections Graduates 111
120
Highest Paid Master’s Degree Criminal Justice & Corrections Graduates 120
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Criminal Justice & Corrections (Income $30-$48k) 156
163
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Criminal Justice & Corrections (Income $0-$30k) 200
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Criminal Justice & Corrections (Income $48-$75k) 204
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Criminal Justice & Corrections (Income $75-$110k) 207
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Criminal Justice & Corrections (Income Over $110k) 212
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Criminal Justice & Corrections 220
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Criminal Justice & Corrections (With Aid) 221
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Criminal Justice & Corrections (Income $30-$48k) 317
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Criminal Justice & Corrections (Income $0-$30k) 453
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Criminal Justice & Corrections (Income $48-$75k) 477
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Criminal Justice & Corrections (Income $75-$110k) 478
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Criminal Justice & Corrections (Income Over $110k) 522
536
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Criminal Justice & Corrections (With Aid) 547
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Criminal Justice & Corrections 571

Popularity of Criminal Justice at The American University

During the 2020-2021 academic year, American University handed out 108 bachelor's degrees in criminal justice and corrections. Due to this, the school was ranked #146 in popularity out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is an increase of 37% over the previous year when 79 degrees were handed out.

In 2021, 22 students received their master’s degree in criminal justice from The American University. This makes it the #72 most popular school for criminal justice master’s degree candidates in the country.

In addition, 2 students received their doctoral degrees in criminal justice in 2021, making the school the #18 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

How Much Do Criminal Justice Graduates from The American University Make?

Salary of Criminal Justice Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

The median salary of criminal justice students who receive their bachelor's degree at The American University is $39,002. This is great news for graduates of the program, since this figure is higher than the national average of $34,135 for all criminal justice bachelor's degree recipients.

undefined

Salary of Criminal Justice Graduates with a Master's Degree

Criminal Justice majors graduating with a master's degree from The American University make a median salary of $52,793 a year. This is a better than average outcome since the median salary for all criminal justice graduates with a master's is $45,048.

undefined

How Much Student Debt Do Criminal Justice Graduates from The American University Have?

Student Debt of Criminal Justice Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

While getting their bachelor's degree at The American University, criminal justice students borrow a median amount of $23,750 in student loans. This is not too bad considering that the median debt load of all criminal justice bachelor's degree recipients across the country is $27,000.

undefined

The typical student loan payment of a bachelor's degree student from the criminal justice program at The American University is $508 per month.

The American University Criminal Justice Students

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the criminal justice majors at American University.

The American University Criminal Justice & Corrections Bachelor’s Program

The criminal justice program at The American University awarded 108 bachelor's degrees in 2020-2021. About 33% of these degrees went to men with the other 67% going to women.

undefined

The majority of the students with this major are white. About 60% of 2021 graduates were in this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from American University with a bachelor's in criminal justice.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 5
Black or African American 6
Hispanic or Latino 19
White 65
Non-Resident Aliens 4
Other Races 9

The American University Criminal Justice & Corrections Master’s Program

The criminal justice program at The American University awarded 22 master's degrees in 2020-2021. About 18% of these degrees went to men with the other 82% going to women.

undefined

The majority of master's degree recipients in this major at The American University are white. In the most recent graduating class for which data is available, 64% of students fell into this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from American University with a master's in criminal justice.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 0
Black or African American 6
Hispanic or Latino 1
White 14
Non-Resident Aliens 0
Other Races 1

Related Major Annual Graduates
Homeland Security 47

View All Criminal Justice & Corrections Related Majors >

References

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You