Political Science & Government at American Universitysocial sciences program at American University.
We've gathered data and other essential information about the program, such as the average salary of graduates, ethnicity of students, how many students graduated in recent times, and more. In addition, we cover how The American University ranks in comparison to other schools with political science programs.
Jump to any of the following sections:
Featured Political Science & Government Programs
Learn about start dates, transferring credits, availability of financial aid, and more by contacting the universities below.
BA in Political Science
Gain a solid understanding of American political history, the current political landscape, and the major political parties with this online bachelor's from Southern New Hampshire University. Learn More >
Political Science & Government Degrees Available at The American University
- Basic Certificates in Political Science
- Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science
- Master’s Degree in Political Science
- Doctorate Degree in Political Science
The American University Political Science Rankings
The American University is in the top 10% of the country for political science. More specifically it was ranked #32 out of 607 schools by College Factual. It is also ranked #3 in District of Columbia.
Popularity of Political Science at The American University
During the 2020-2021 academic year, American University handed out 226 bachelor's degrees in political science and government. Due to this, the school was ranked #30 in popularity out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is an increase of 38% over the previous year when 164 degrees were handed out.
In 2021, 13 students received their master’s degree in political science from The American University. This makes it the #29 most popular school for political science master’s degree candidates in the country.
In addition, 3 students received their doctoral degrees in political science in 2021, making the school the #75 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.
How Much Do Political Science Graduates from The American University Make?
Salary of Political Science Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree
Political Science majors who earn their bachelor's degree from The American University go on to jobs where they make a median salary of $45,217 a year. This is higher than $33,089, which is the national median for all political science bachelor's degree recipients.
How Much Student Debt Do Political Science Graduates from The American University Have?
Student Debt of Political Science Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree
While getting their bachelor's degree at The American University, political science students borrow a median amount of $23,340 in student loans. This is not too bad considering that the median debt load of all political science bachelor's degree recipients across the country is $24,439.
The typical student loan payment of a bachelor's degree student from the political science program at The American University is $576 per month.
Political Science Student Diversity at The American University
Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the political science majors at American University.
The American University Political Science & Government Bachelor’s Program
The political science program at The American University awarded 226 bachelor's degrees in 2020-2021. About 47% of these degrees went to men with the other 53% going to women.
The majority of the students with this major are white. About 69% of 2021 graduates were in this category.
The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from American University with a bachelor's in political science.
|Ethnic Background||Number of Students|
|Black or African American||13|
|Hispanic or Latino||34|
The American University Political Science & Government Master’s Program
Of the 13 political science students who graduated with a master's degree in 2020-2021 from The American University, about 62% were men and 38% were women.
The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from American University with a master's in political science.
|Ethnic Background||Number of Students|
|Black or African American||1|
|Hispanic or Latino||2|
Majors Similar to Political Science
|Related Major||Annual Graduates|
|International Relations & National Security||700|
More about our data sources and methodologies.
Southern New Hampshire University
You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs ... Learn More >