Journalism at DePaul University

Journalism at DePaul University

Journalism is one of the majors in the communication & journalism program at DePaul University.

We've gathered data and other essential information about the program, such as the average salary of graduates, ethnicity of students, how many students graduated in recent times, and more. We've also included details on how DePaul ranks compared to other colleges offering a major in journalism.

Go directly to any of the following sections:

Journalism Degrees Available at DePaul

DePaul Journalism Rankings

The bachelor's program at DePaul was ranked #171 on College Factual's Best Schools for journalism list. It is also ranked #9 in Illinois.

Ranking Type Rank
Most Popular Master’s Degree Colleges for Journalism 17
Most Focused Master’s Degree Colleges for Journalism 23
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Journalism 25
Best Journalism Master’s Degree Schools 46
Most Popular Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Journalism 84
Best Journalism Bachelor’s Degree Schools 154
Most Focused Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Journalism 160
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Journalism 240

Popularity of Journalism at DePaul

During the 2019-2020 academic year, DePaul University handed out 42 bachelor's degrees in journalism. Due to this, the school was ranked #60 in popularity out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is an increase of 5% over the previous year when 40 degrees were handed out.

In 2020, 21 students received their master’s degree in journalism from DePaul. This makes it the #17 most popular school for journalism master’s degree candidates in the country.

How Much Do Journalism Graduates from DePaul Make?

Salary of Journalism Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

Journalism majors who earn their bachelor's degree from DePaul go on to jobs where they make a median salary of $27,600 a year. This is less than $30,000, which is the national median of all journalism majors in the nation who earn bachelor's degrees.

undefined

Salary of Journalism Graduates with a Master's Degree

Graduates of the master's journalism program at DePaul make a median salary of $32,900. This is less than what their typical peers from other schools make. Their median salary is $42,650.

undefined

How Much Student Debt Do Journalism Graduates from DePaul Have?

Student Debt of Journalism Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

While getting their bachelor's degree at DePaul, journalism students borrow a median amount of $23,667 in student loans. This is higher than the the typical median of $23,488 for all journalism majors across the country.

undefined

The typical student loan payment of a bachelor's degree student from the journalism program at DePaul is $246 per month.

Student Debt of Journalism Graduates with a Master's Degree

At DePaul, a typical journalism student working on their master's degree borrrows about $41,000 in student loans. This is not favorable since the median amount of student debt for all journalism master's graduates is $40,266.

undefined

Those master's students from DePaul on a 10-year student debt repayment plan end up paying a median amount of $478 per month.

DePaul Journalism Students

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the journalism majors at DePaul University.

DePaul Journalism Bachelor’s Program

In the 2019-2020 academic year, 42 students earned a bachelor's degree in journalism from DePaul. About 69% of these graduates were women and the other 31% were men.

undefined

The majority of the students with this major are white. About 57% of 2020 graduates were in this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from DePaul University with a bachelor's in journalism.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 1
Black or African American 5
Hispanic or Latino 8
White 24
Non-Resident Aliens 0
Other Races 4

DePaul Journalism Master’s Program

For the most recent academic year available, 50% of journalism master's degrees went to men and 50% went to women.

undefined

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from DePaul University with a master's in journalism.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 0
Black or African American 5
Hispanic or Latino 3
White 10
Non-Resident Aliens 0
Other Races 2

Related Major Annual Graduates
Public Relations & Advertising 227
Communication & Media Studies 189

View All Journalism Related Majors >

References

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Find Schools Near You