Accounting at Southern Methodist University

Accounting at Southern Methodist University

Accounting is one of the majors in the business, management & marketing program at Southern Methodist University.

We've pulled together some essential information you should know about the program, including how many students graduate each year, the ethnic diversity of these students, and more. Also, learn how SMU ranks among other schools offering degrees in accounting.

Jump to any of the following sections:

Accounting Degrees Available at SMU

SMU Accounting Rankings

In College Factual's most recent rankings for the best schools for accounting majors, SMU came in at #59. This puts it in the top 5% of the country in this field of study. It is also ranked #5 in Texas.

Ranking Type Rank
Best Accounting Master’s Degree Schools 35
Most Popular Master’s Degree Colleges for Accounting 45
Best Accounting Bachelor’s Degree Schools 52
Most Focused Master’s Degree Colleges for Accounting 76
Most Popular Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Accounting 208
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Accounting 495
Most Focused Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Accounting 669
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Accounting 1,052

Popularity of Accounting at SMU

During the 2019-2020 academic year, Southern Methodist University handed out 77 bachelor's degrees in accounting. Due to this, the school was ranked #104 in popularity out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is a decrease of 21% over the previous year when 98 degrees were handed out.

In 2020, 92 students received their master’s degree in accounting from SMU. This makes it the #55 most popular school for accounting master’s degree candidates in the country.

Salary of Accounting Graduates with a Master's Degree

Graduates of the master's accounting program at SMU make a median salary of $60,400. This is a better than average outcome since the median salary for all accounting graduates with a master's is $56,600.

undefined

How Much Student Debt Do Accounting Graduates from SMU Have?

Student Debt of Accounting Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

While getting their bachelor's degree at SMU, accounting students borrow a median amount of $21,500 in student loans. This is not too bad considering that the median debt load of all accounting bachelor's degree recipients across the country is $25,000.

undefined

The typical student loan payment of a bachelor's degree student from the accounting program at SMU is $223 per month.

Student Debt of Accounting Graduates with a Master's Degree

At SMU, a typical accounting student working on their master's degree borrrows about $42,700 in student loans. This is not favorable since the median amount of student debt for all accounting master's graduates is $27,303.

undefined

Those master's students from SMU on a 10-year student debt repayment plan end up paying a median amount of $498 per month.

Accounting Student Diversity at SMU

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the accounting majors at Southern Methodist University.

SMU Accounting Bachelor’s Program

In the 2019-2020 academic year, 77 students earned a bachelor's degree in accounting from SMU. About 53% of these graduates were women and the other 47% were men.

undefined

The majority of the students with this major are white. About 58% of 2020 graduates were in this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Southern Methodist University with a bachelor's in accounting.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 5
Black or African American 1
Hispanic or Latino 7
White 45
Non-Resident Aliens 13
Other Races 6

SMU Accounting Master’s Program

During the 2019-2020 academic year, 97 accounting majors earned their master's degree from SMU. Of these graduates, 52% were men and 48% were women.

undefined

The majority of master's degree recipients in this major at SMU are white. In the most recent graduating class for which data is available, 56% of students fell into this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Southern Methodist University with a master's in accounting.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 12
Black or African American 2
Hispanic or Latino 6
White 54
Non-Resident Aliens 20
Other Races 3

Majors Similar to Accounting

Related Major Annual Graduates
Finance & Financial Management 388
Business Administration & Management 221
Management Sciences & Quantitative Methods 124
Marketing 107
Real Estate 67

View All Accounting Related Majors >

References

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Find Schools Near You