Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Political Science & Government at University of California - San Diego

Find Schools Near

Political Science & Government at University of California - San Diego

The Political Science & Government major is part of the social sciences program at University of California - San Diego.

We've pulled together some essential information you should know about the program, including how many students graduate each year, the ethnic diversity of these students, average starting salaries, and more. In addition, we cover how UCSD ranks in comparison to other schools with political science programs.

Go directly to any of the following sections:

Featured Political Science & Government Programs

Learn about start dates, transferring credits, availability of financial aid, and more by contacting the universities below.

ADVERTISEMENT

Political Science & Government Degrees Available at UCSD

UCSD Political Science Rankings

UCSD is in the top 10% of the country for political science. More specifically it was ranked #47 out of 607 schools by College Factual. It is also ranked #9 in California.

Ranking Type Rank
4
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government (With Aid) 15
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government (With Aid) 18
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government (With Aid) 19
30
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government (Income $48-$75k) 30
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government (Income $30-$48k) 31
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government (Income $48-$75k) 31
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government (Income $30-$48k) 32
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government (Income $75-$110k) 33
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government (Income $75-$110k) 33
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government 34
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government (Income $0-$30k) 34
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government (Income $0-$30k) 36
Best Political Science & Government Master’s Degree Schools 36
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government (Income Over $110k) 38
Best Political Science & Government Doctor’s Degree Schools 42
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government (Income Over $110k) 44
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government (Income $48-$75k) 44
Best Political Science & Government Bachelor’s Degree Schools 46
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government (Income $75-$110k) 49
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government (Income $30-$48k) 52
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government (Income $0-$30k) 54
Highest Paid Master’s Degree Political Science & Government Graduates 55
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government 56
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government (Income Over $110k) 58
61
61
Highest Paid Doctor’s Degree Political Science & Government Graduates 83
119
137
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government 385
Highest Paid Bachelor’s Degree Political Science & Government Graduates 466

Popularity of Political Science at UCSD

During the 2020-2021 academic year, University of California - San Diego handed out 453 bachelor's degrees in political science and government. Due to this, the school was ranked #5 in popularity out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is an increase of 16% over the previous year when 390 degrees were handed out.

In 2021, 9 students received their master’s degree in political science from UCSD. This makes it the #61 most popular school for political science master’s degree candidates in the country.

In addition, 7 students received their doctoral degrees in political science in 2021, making the school the #30 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

How Much Do Political Science Graduates from UCSD Make?

Salary of Political Science Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

Political Science majors who earn their bachelor's degree from UCSD go on to jobs where they make a median salary of $28,579 a year. Unfortunately, this is lower than the national average of $33,089 for all political science students.

undefined

How Much Student Debt Do Political Science Graduates from UCSD Have?

Student Debt of Political Science Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

While getting their bachelor's degree at UCSD, political science students borrow a median amount of $16,500 in student loans. This is not too bad considering that the median debt load of all political science bachelor's degree recipients across the country is $24,439.

undefined

The typical student loan payment of a bachelor's degree student from the political science program at UCSD is $190 per month.

UCSD Political Science Students

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the political science majors at University of California - San Diego.

UCSD Political Science & Government Bachelor’s Program

The political science program at UCSD awarded 453 bachelor's degrees in 2020-2021. About 47% of these degrees went to men with the other 53% going to women.

undefined

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from University of California - San Diego with a bachelor's in political science.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 73
Black or African American 13
Hispanic or Latino 155
White 155
Non-Resident Aliens 29
Other Races 28

UCSD Political Science & Government Master’s Program

In the 2020-2021 academic year, 9 students earned a master's degree in political science from UCSD. About 33% of these graduates were women and the other 67% were men.

undefined

The majority of master's degree recipients in this major at UCSD are white. In the most recent graduating class for which data is available, 56% of students fell into this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from University of California - San Diego with a master's in political science.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 0
Black or African American 1
Hispanic or Latino 0
White 5
Non-Resident Aliens 1
Other Races 2

Related Major Annual Graduates
Economics 480
Sociology 161
International Relations & National Security 108
Anthropology 91
Other Social Sciences 57

View All Political Science & Government Related Majors >

References

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You