Journalism at University of Wisconsin - Madison

Journalism at University of Wisconsin - Madison

The Journalism major is part of the communication & journalism program at University of Wisconsin - Madison.

We've pulled together some essential information you should know about the program, including how many students graduate each year, the ethnic diversity of these students, average starting salaries, and more. Also, learn how UW - Madison ranks among other schools offering degrees in journalism.

Go directly to any of the following sections:

Journalism Degrees Available at UW - Madison

UW - Madison Journalism Rankings

In College Factual's most recent rankings for the best schools for journalism majors, UW - Madison came in at #5. This puts it in the top 5% of the country in this field of study. It is also ranked #1 in Wisconsin.

Ranking Type Rank
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Journalism 3
Best Journalism Bachelor’s Degree Schools 4
Best Journalism Master’s Degree Schools 5
Most Popular Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Journalism 6
Most Popular Master’s Degree Colleges for Journalism 26
Most Focused Master’s Degree Colleges for Journalism 52
Most Focused Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Journalism 82
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Journalism 114

Popularity of Journalism at UW - Madison

During the 2019-2020 academic year, University of Wisconsin - Madison handed out 233 bachelor's degrees in journalism. Due to this, the school was ranked #8 in popularity out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is an increase of 22% over the previous year when 191 degrees were handed out.

In 2020, 9 students received their master’s degree in journalism from UW - Madison. This makes it the #35 most popular school for journalism master’s degree candidates in the country.

How Much Do Journalism Graduates from UW - Madison Make?

Salary of Journalism Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

Journalism majors who earn their bachelor's degree from UW - Madison go on to jobs where they make a median salary of $37,600 a year. This is great news for graduates of the program, since this figure is higher than the national average of $30,000 for all journalism bachelor's degree recipients.

undefined

How Much Student Debt Do Journalism Graduates from UW - Madison Have?

Student Debt of Journalism Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

While getting their bachelor's degree at UW - Madison, journalism students borrow a median amount of $20,010 in student loans. This is not too bad considering that the median debt load of all journalism bachelor's degree recipients across the country is $23,488.

undefined

The typical student loan payment of a bachelor's degree student from the journalism program at UW - Madison is $208 per month.

UW - Madison Journalism Students

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the journalism majors at University of Wisconsin - Madison.

UW - Madison Journalism Bachelor’s Program

Of the 233 students who graduated with a Bachelor’s in journalism from UW - Madison in 2020, 24% were men and 76% were women.

undefined

The majority of the students with this major are white. About 83% of 2020 graduates were in this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from University of Wisconsin - Madison with a bachelor's in journalism.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 6
Black or African American 4
Hispanic or Latino 7
White 194
Non-Resident Aliens 11
Other Races 11

UW - Madison Journalism Master’s Program

In the 2019-2020 academic year, 13 students earned a master's degree in journalism from UW - Madison. About 69% of these graduates were women and the other 31% were men.

undefined

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from University of Wisconsin - Madison with a master's in journalism.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 0
Black or African American 0
Hispanic or Latino 0
White 6
Non-Resident Aliens 7
Other Races 0

Majors Similar to Journalism

Related Major Annual Graduates
Communication & Media Studies 315

View All Journalism Related Majors >

References

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Find Schools Near You