Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

General Biology at Southern Methodist University

Find Schools Near

General Biology at Southern Methodist University

The General Biology major is part of the biological & biomedical sciences program at Southern Methodist University.

Here, you'll find out more about the major, including such details as the number of graduates, what degree levels are offered, ethnicity of students, average salaries, and more. We've also included details on how SMU ranks compared to other colleges offering a major in biology.

Jump to any of the following sections:

General Biology Degrees Available at SMU

SMU Biology Rankings

The bachelor's program at SMU was ranked #204 on College Factual's Best Schools for biology list. It is also ranked #5 in Texas.

Ranking Type Rank
Best General Biology Doctor’s Degree Schools 67
Best General Biology Master’s Degree Schools 71
Most Focused Doctor’s Degree Colleges for General Biology 147
Most Popular Doctor’s Degree Colleges for General Biology 149
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for General Biology 152
Best General Biology Bachelor’s Degree Schools 190
Most Popular Master’s Degree Colleges for General Biology 229
Most Focused Master’s Degree Colleges for General Biology 270
Most Popular Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for General Biology 324
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for General Biology 333
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for General Biology 940
Most Focused Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for General Biology 1,078

Popularity of Biology at SMU

During the 2019-2020 academic year, Southern Methodist University handed out 72 bachelor's degrees in general biology. Due to this, the school was ranked #348 in popularity out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is a decrease of 15% over the previous year when 85 degrees were handed out.

In 2020, 3 students received their master’s degree in biology from SMU. This makes it the #303 most popular school for biology master’s degree candidates in the country.

In addition, 2 students received their doctoral degrees in biology in 2020, making the school the #133 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

How Much Do Biology Graduates from SMU Make?

Salary of Biology Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

Biology majors who earn their bachelor's degree from SMU go on to jobs where they make a median salary of $26,500 a year. Unfortunately, this is lower than the national average of $27,600 for all biology students.

undefined

How Much Student Debt Do Biology Graduates from SMU Have?

Student Debt of Biology Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

While getting their bachelor's degree at SMU, biology students borrow a median amount of $23,375 in student loans. This is not too bad considering that the median debt load of all biology bachelor's degree recipients across the country is $24,715.

undefined

The typical student loan payment of a bachelor's degree student from the biology program at SMU is $243 per month.

SMU Biology Students

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the biology majors at Southern Methodist University.

SMU General Biology Bachelor’s Program

During the 2019-2020 academic year, 72 biology majors earned their bachelor's degree from SMU. Of these graduates, 29% were men and 71% were women.

undefined

The majority of the students with this major are white. About 64% of 2020 graduates were in this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Southern Methodist University with a bachelor's in biology.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 14
Black or African American 2
Hispanic or Latino 5
White 46
Non-Resident Aliens 2
Other Races 3

SMU General Biology Master’s Program

The biology program at SMU awarded 6 master's degrees in 2019-2020. About 67% of these degrees went to men with the other 33% going to women.

undefined

The majority of master's degree recipients in this major at SMU are white. In the most recent graduating class for which data is available, 83% of students fell into this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Southern Methodist University with a master's in biology.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 0
Black or African American 0
Hispanic or Latino 0
White 5
Non-Resident Aliens 0
Other Races 1

Majors Similar to Biology

Related Major Annual Graduates
Biochemistry, Biophysics & Molecular Biology 9
Biomathematics & Bioinformatics 2

View All General Biology Related Majors >

References

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You