Mechanical Engineering at Southern Methodist University

Mechanical Engineering at Southern Methodist University

The Mechanical Engineering major is part of the engineering program at Southern Methodist University.

We've gathered data and other essential information about the program, such as the average salary of graduates, ethnicity of students, how many students graduated in recent times, and more. Also, learn how SMU ranks among other schools offering degrees in ME.

Go directly to any of the following sections:

Mechanical Engineering Degrees Available at SMU

SMU ME Rankings

The bachelor's program at SMU was ranked #85 on College Factual's Best Schools for ME list. It is also ranked #5 in Texas.

Ranking Type Rank
Most Popular Doctor’s Degree Online Mechanical Engineering Schools 2
Most Focused Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Mechanical Engineering 26
Best Mechanical Engineering Doctor’s Degree Schools 49
Most Popular Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Mechanical Engineering 58
Best Mechanical Engineering Master’s Degree Schools 74
Best Mechanical Engineering Bachelor’s Degree Schools 86
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Mechanical Engineering 131
Most Popular Master’s Degree Colleges for Mechanical Engineering 158
Most Focused Master’s Degree Colleges for Mechanical Engineering 161
Most Popular Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Mechanical Engineering 173
Most Focused Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Mechanical Engineering 204
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Mechanical Engineering 212
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Mechanical Engineering 321

Popularity of ME at SMU

During the 2019-2020 academic year, Southern Methodist University handed out 79 bachelor's degrees in mechanical engineering. Due to this, the school was ranked #173 in popularity out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is an increase of 25% over the previous year when 63 degrees were handed out.

In 2020, 16 students received their master’s degree in ME from SMU. This makes it the #138 most popular school for ME master’s degree candidates in the country.

In addition, 5 students received their doctoral degrees in ME in 2020, making the school the #91 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

How Much Do ME Graduates from SMU Make?

Salary of ME Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

The median salary of ME students who receive their bachelor's degree at SMU is $68,400. This is great news for graduates of the program, since this figure is higher than the national average of $62,400 for all ME bachelor's degree recipients.

undefined

How Much Student Debt Do ME Graduates from SMU Have?

Student Debt of ME Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

While getting their bachelor's degree at SMU, ME students borrow a median amount of $20,500 in student loans. This is not too bad considering that the median debt load of all ME bachelor's degree recipients across the country is $23,500.

undefined

The typical student loan payment of a bachelor's degree student from the ME program at SMU is $213 per month.

ME Student Diversity at SMU

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the ME majors at Southern Methodist University.

SMU Mechanical Engineering Bachelor’s Program

The ME program at SMU awarded 79 bachelor's degrees in 2019-2020. About 75% of these degrees went to men with the other 25% going to women.

undefined

The majority of bachelor's degree recipients in this major at SMU are white. In the most recent graduating class for which data is available, 65% of students fell into this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Southern Methodist University with a bachelor's in ME.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 3
Black or African American 4
Hispanic or Latino 11
White 51
Non-Resident Aliens 6
Other Races 4

SMU Mechanical Engineering Master’s Program

Of the 10 students who graduated with a Master’s in ME from SMU in 2020, 90% were men and 10% were women.

undefined

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Southern Methodist University with a master's in ME.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 0
Black or African American 0
Hispanic or Latino 1
White 4
Non-Resident Aliens 5
Other Races 0

Majors Similar to ME

Related Major Annual Graduates
Operations Research 55
Electrical Engineering 46
Civil Engineering 36
Computer Engineering 35
Manufacturing Engineering 32

View All Mechanical Engineering Related Majors >

References

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Find Schools Near You