Chemistry at University of California - San Diego

Chemistry at University of California - San Diego

Chemistry is one of the majors in the physical sciences program at University of California - San Diego.

Here, you'll find out more about the major, including such details as the number of graduates, what degree levels are offered, ethnicity of students, average salaries, and more. We've also included details on how UCSD ranks compared to other colleges offering a major in chemistry.

Go directly to any of the following sections:

Chemistry Degrees Available at UCSD

UCSD Chemistry Rankings

In College Factual's most recent rankings for the best schools for chemistry majors, UCSD came in at #9. This puts it in the top 5% of the country in this field of study. It is also ranked #3 in California.

Ranking Type Rank
1
3
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Chemistry (With Aid) 5
5
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Chemistry (With Aid) 7
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Chemistry (With Aid) 7
Best Chemistry Bachelor’s Degree Schools 9
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Chemistry (Income $75-$110k) 11
Best Chemistry Doctor’s Degree Schools 11
Best Chemistry Master’s Degree Schools 12
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Chemistry (Income $48-$75k) 16
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Chemistry (Income $48-$75k) 17
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Chemistry (Income $75-$110k) 17
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Chemistry (Income $30-$48k) 17
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Chemistry (Income $0-$30k) 17
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Chemistry (Income $30-$48k) 18
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Chemistry (Income $75-$110k) 18
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Chemistry (Income $0-$30k) 18
19
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Chemistry (Income $0-$30k) 20
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Chemistry (Income $48-$75k) 20
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Chemistry (Income $30-$48k) 21
22
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Chemistry (Income Over $110k) 27
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Chemistry 29
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Chemistry (Income Over $110k) 36
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Chemistry (Income Over $110k) 41
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Chemistry 44
55
Highest Paid Doctor’s Degree Chemistry Graduates 63
Highest Paid Bachelor’s Degree Chemistry Graduates 89
Highest Paid Master’s Degree Chemistry Graduates 118
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Chemistry 187

Popularity of Chemistry at UCSD

During the 2020-2021 academic year, University of California - San Diego handed out 311 bachelor's degrees in chemistry. Due to this, the school was ranked #1 in popularity out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is an increase of 20% over the previous year when 259 degrees were handed out.

In 2021, 52 students received their master’s degree in chemistry from UCSD. This makes it the #3 most popular school for chemistry master’s degree candidates in the country.

In addition, 49 students received their doctoral degrees in chemistry in 2021, making the school the #5 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

How Much Do Chemistry Graduates from UCSD Make?

Salary of Chemistry Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

The median salary of chemistry students who receive their bachelor's degree at UCSD is $38,643. This is higher than $37,104, which is the national median for all chemistry bachelor's degree recipients.

undefined

How Much Student Debt Do Chemistry Graduates from UCSD Have?

Student Debt of Chemistry Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

While getting their bachelor's degree at UCSD, chemistry students borrow a median amount of $15,833 in student loans. This is not too bad considering that the median debt load of all chemistry bachelor's degree recipients across the country is $24,000.

undefined

The typical student loan payment of a bachelor's degree student from the chemistry program at UCSD is $167 per month.

UCSD Chemistry Students

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the chemistry majors at University of California - San Diego.

UCSD Chemistry Bachelor’s Program

The chemistry program at UCSD awarded 311 bachelor's degrees in 2020-2021. About 46% of these degrees went to men with the other 54% going to women.

undefined

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from University of California - San Diego with a bachelor's in chemistry.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 128
Black or African American 4
Hispanic or Latino 57
White 65
Non-Resident Aliens 45
Other Races 12

UCSD Chemistry Master’s Program

In the 2020-2021 academic year, 52 students earned a master's degree in chemistry from UCSD. About 63% of these graduates were women and the other 37% were men.

undefined

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from University of California - San Diego with a master's in chemistry.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 13
Black or African American 1
Hispanic or Latino 3
White 24
Non-Resident Aliens 10
Other Races 1

Related Major Annual Graduates
Physics 82
Geological & Earth Sciences 75
Atmospheric Sciences & Meteorology 18
Other Physical Science 11

View All Chemistry Related Majors >

References

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Find Schools Near You