General Biology at Virginia Tech

General Biology at Virginia Tech

General Biology is one of the majors in the biological & biomedical sciences program at Virginia Tech.

We've gathered data and other essential information about the program, such as the average salary of graduates, ethnicity of students, how many students graduated in recent times, and more. We've also included details on how Virginia Tech ranks compared to other colleges offering a major in biology.

Go directly to any of the following sections:

General Biology Degrees Available at Virginia Tech

Virginia Tech Biology Rankings

Virginia Tech is in the top 10% of the country for biology. More specifically it was ranked #79 out of 983 schools by College Factual. It is also ranked #4 in Virginia.

Ranking Type Rank
Most Popular Doctor’s Degree Colleges for General Biology 17
Best General Biology Doctor’s Degree Schools 30
Most Popular Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for General Biology 39
Most Focused Doctor’s Degree Colleges for General Biology 46
Best General Biology Master’s Degree Schools 53
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for General Biology 57
Best General Biology Bachelor’s Degree Schools 73
Most Popular Master’s Degree Colleges for General Biology 214
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for General Biology 223
Most Focused Master’s Degree Colleges for General Biology 341
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for General Biology 368
Most Focused Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for General Biology 673

Popularity of Biology at Virginia Tech

During the 2019-2020 academic year, Virginia Tech handed out 309 bachelor's degrees in general biology. Due to this, the school was ranked #45 in popularity out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is an increase of 42% over the previous year when 218 degrees were handed out.

In 2020, 7 students received their master’s degree in biology from Virginia Tech. This makes it the #216 most popular school for biology master’s degree candidates in the country.

In addition, 21 students received their doctoral degrees in biology in 2020, making the school the #16 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

How Much Do Biology Graduates from Virginia Tech Make?

Salary of Biology Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

The median salary of biology students who receive their bachelor's degree at Virginia Tech is $26,500. This is less than $27,600, which is the national median of all biology majors in the nation who earn bachelor's degrees.

undefined

How Much Student Debt Do Biology Graduates from Virginia Tech Have?

Student Debt of Biology Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

While getting their bachelor's degree at Virginia Tech, biology students borrow a median amount of $21,500 in student loans. This is not too bad considering that the median debt load of all biology bachelor's degree recipients across the country is $24,715.

undefined

The typical student loan payment of a bachelor's degree student from the biology program at Virginia Tech is $223 per month.

Virginia Tech Biology Students

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the biology majors at Virginia Tech.

Virginia Tech General Biology Bachelor’s Program

The biology program at Virginia Tech awarded 309 bachelor's degrees in 2019-2020. About 36% of these degrees went to men with the other 64% going to women.

undefined

The majority of bachelor's degree recipients in this major at Virginia Tech are white. In the most recent graduating class for which data is available, 71% of students fell into this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Virginia Tech with a bachelor's in biology.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 37
Black or African American 13
Hispanic or Latino 18
White 219
Non-Resident Aliens 0
Other Races 22

Virginia Tech General Biology Master’s Program

In the 2019-2020 academic year, 7 students earned a master's degree in biology from Virginia Tech. About 57% of these graduates were women and the other 43% were men.

undefined

The majority of master's degree recipients in this major at Virginia Tech are white. In the most recent graduating class for which data is available, 57% of students fell into this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Virginia Tech with a master's in biology.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 1
Black or African American 0
Hispanic or Latino 1
White 4
Non-Resident Aliens 0
Other Races 1

Related Major Annual Graduates
Neurobiology & Neurosciences 173
Biochemistry, Biophysics & Molecular Biology 125
Biological & Biomedical Sciences (Other) 43
Microbiological Sciences & Immunology 31
Biomathematics & Bioinformatics 24

View All General Biology Related Majors >

References

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Find Schools Near You