Political Science & Government at Virginia Tech

Political Science & Government at Virginia Tech

The Political Science & Government major is part of the social sciences program at Virginia Tech.

Here, you'll find out more about the major, including such details as the number of graduates, what degree levels are offered, ethnicity of students, average salaries, and more. In addition, we cover how Virginia Tech ranks in comparison to other schools with political science programs.

Go directly to any of the following sections:

Political Science & Government Degrees Available at Virginia Tech

Virginia Tech Political Science Rankings

Virginia Tech is in the top 10% of the country for political science. More specifically it was ranked #72 out of 781 schools by College Factual. It is also ranked #5 in Virginia.

Ranking Type Rank
Most Popular Master’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government 26
Best Political Science & Government Master’s Degree Schools 30
Most Popular Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government 39
Most Focused Master’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government 63
Best Political Science & Government Bachelor’s Degree Schools 69
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government 74
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government 213
Most Focused Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Political Science & Government 313

Popularity of Political Science at Virginia Tech

During the 2019-2020 academic year, Virginia Tech handed out 194 bachelor's degrees in political science and government. Due to this, the school was ranked #38 in popularity out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is an increase of 1% over the previous year when 192 degrees were handed out.

In 2020, 15 students received their master’s degree in political science from Virginia Tech. This makes it the #31 most popular school for political science master’s degree candidates in the country.

How Much Do Political Science Graduates from Virginia Tech Make?

Salary of Political Science Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

The median salary of political science students who receive their bachelor's degree at Virginia Tech is $37,300. This is higher than $32,850, which is the national median for all political science bachelor's degree recipients.

undefined

How Much Student Debt Do Political Science Graduates from Virginia Tech Have?

Student Debt of Political Science Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

While getting their bachelor's degree at Virginia Tech, political science students borrow a median amount of $21,500 in student loans. This is not too bad considering that the median debt load of all political science bachelor's degree recipients across the country is $23,184.

undefined

The typical student loan payment of a bachelor's degree student from the political science program at Virginia Tech is $223 per month.

Virginia Tech Political Science Students

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the political science majors at Virginia Tech.

Virginia Tech Political Science & Government Bachelor’s Program

For the most recent academic year available, 54% of political science bachelor's degrees went to men and 46% went to women.

undefined

The majority of the students with this major are white. About 74% of 2020 graduates were in this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Virginia Tech with a bachelor's in political science.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 9
Black or African American 10
Hispanic or Latino 14
White 143
Non-Resident Aliens 1
Other Races 17

Virginia Tech Political Science & Government Master’s Program

In the 2019-2020 academic year, 14 students earned a master's degree in political science from Virginia Tech. About 36% of these graduates were women and the other 64% were men.

undefined

The majority of the students with this major are white. About 64% of 2020 graduates were in this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Virginia Tech with a master's in political science.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 2
Black or African American 0
Hispanic or Latino 2
White 9
Non-Resident Aliens 0
Other Races 1

Related Major Annual Graduates
Sociology 195
International Relations & National Security 137
Economics 132
Geography & Cartography 42
Urban Studies 16

View All Political Science & Government Related Majors >

References

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Find Schools Near You