Engineering at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Engineering at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Here, you'll find out more about the major, including such details as the number of graduates, what degree levels are offered, ethnicity of students, and more. Also, learn how UIUC ranks among other schools offering degrees in engineering.

Jump to any of the following sections:

Engineering Degrees Available at UIUC

UIUC Engineering Rankings

UIUC is in the top 10% of the country for engineering. More specifically it was ranked #40 out of 419 schools by College Factual. It is also ranked #2 in Illinois.

Ranking Type Rank
Most Popular Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Engineering 5
Most Popular Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Engineering 6
Most Popular Master’s Degree Colleges for Engineering 16
Most Focused Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Engineering 20
Best Engineering Bachelor’s Degree Schools 32
Best Engineering Master’s Degree Schools 34
Best Engineering Doctor’s Degree Schools 45
Most Focused Master’s Degree Colleges for Engineering 59
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Engineering 75
Most Focused Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Engineering 91
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Engineering 104
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Engineering 164

Popularity of Engineering at UIUC

During the 2019-2020 academic year, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign handed out 1667 bachelor's degrees in engineering. Due to this, the school was ranked #5 in popularity out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is a decrease of 9% over the previous year when 1,823 degrees were handed out.

In 2020, 797 students received their master’s degree in engineering from UIUC. This makes it the #10 most popular school for engineering master’s degree candidates in the country.

In addition, 234 students received their doctoral degrees in engineering in 2020, making the school the #8 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

Engineering Student Diversity at UIUC

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the engineering majors at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

UIUC Engineering Bachelor’s Program

For the most recent academic year available, 78% of engineering bachelor's degrees went to men and 22% went to women.

undefined

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign with a bachelor's in engineering.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 433
Black or African American 40
Hispanic or Latino 109
White 639
Non-Resident Aliens 377
Other Races 69

UIUC Engineering Master’s Program

The engineering program at UIUC awarded 654 master's degrees in 2019-2020. About 76% of these degrees went to men with the other 24% going to women.

undefined

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign with a master's in engineering.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 41
Black or African American 6
Hispanic or Latino 27
White 135
Non-Resident Aliens 432
Other Races 13

Engineering Majors

Engineering students may decide to major in one of the following focus areas. Individual majors may not be available for all degree levels.

Major Annual Graduates
Electrical Engineering 472
Civil Engineering 367
Computer Engineering 341
Mechanical Engineering 300
Chemical Engineering 165
Aerospace & Aeronautical Engineering 139
Materials Engineering 127
Agricultural Engineering 127
Biomedical Engineering 96
Industrial Engineering 85
Engineering Physics 77
Systems Engineering 70
Nuclear Engineering 63
Operations Research 62
Engineering Mechanics 34
Environmental Engineering 32
General Engineering 20

Related Major Annual Graduates
Computer & Information Sciences 1,154
Agriculture & Agriculture Operations 796
Mathematics & Statistics 795
Biological & Biomedical Sciences 591
Physical Sciences 450

View All Engineering Related Majors >

References

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Find Schools Near You