2022 Best Applied Linguistics Master's Degree Schools
College Factual looked at 4 colleges and universities when compiling its 2022 Best Applied Linguistics Master's Degree Schools ranking. When you put them all together, these colleges and universities awarded 100 master's degrees in applied linguistics during the 2019-2020 academic year.
What's on this page:
Choosing a Great Applied Linguistics School for Your Master's Degree
Your choice of applied linguistics for getting your master's degree school matters. This section explores some of the factors we include in our ranking and how much they vary depending on the school you select. To make it into this list, a school must excel in the following areas.
A Great Overall School
The overall quality of a master's degree school is important to ensure a quality education, not just how well they do in a particular major. To account for this we include a school's overall Best Colleges for a Master's Degree ranking which itself looks at a collection of different factors like degree completion, educational resources, student body caliber and post-graduation earnings for the school as a whole.
Over 80% of the schools in this list are in the top 49% of our overall quality ranking.
Other Factors We Consider
The metrics below are just some of the other metrics that we use to determine our rankings.
- Major Focus - How much a school focuses on applied linguistics students vs. other majors.
- Major Demand - The number of applied linguistics students who choose to seek a master's degree at the school.
- Educational Resources - How many resources are allocated to students. These resources may include educational expenditures per student, number of students per instructor, and graduation rate among other things.
- Accreditation - Whether a school is regionally accredited and/or accredited by a recognized applied linguistics related body.
Our complete ranking methodology documents in more detail how we consider these factors to identify the best schools for applied linguistics students working on their master's degree.
More Ways to Rank Applied Linguistics Schools
The applied linguistics school you choose to invest your time and money in matters. To help you make the decision that is right for you, we've developed a number of major-specific rankings, including this list of the Best Applied Linguistics Master's Degree Schools.
Best Schools for Master’s Students to Study Applied Linguistics in the United States
Top Schools for a Master's in Applied Linguistics
Every student who is interested in a master's degree in applied linguistics has to take a look at West Virginia University. WVU is a very large public university located in the small city of Morgantown. This university ranks 3rd out of 14 schools for overall master's degree quality in the state of West Virginia.More information about a master’s in applied linguistics from West Virginia University
It's hard to beat Grand Valley State University if you want to pursue a master's degree in applied linguistics. Located in the suburb of Allendale, GVSU is a public university with a fairly large student population. A Best Master's Degree Schools rank of #371 out of 1,305 colleges nationwide means GVSU is a great university overall.
There were approximately 4 applied linguistics students who graduated with this degree at GVSU in the most recent data year.More information about a master’s in applied linguistics from Grand Valley State University
Any student pursuing a degree in a master's degree in applied linguistics has to check out University of Massachusetts - Boston. Located in the city of Boston, UMass Boston is a public university with a large student population. This university ranks 39th out of 49 schools for overall master's degree quality in the state of Massachusetts.
There were about 47 applied linguistics students who graduated with this degree at UMass Boston in the most recent data year.More information about a master’s in applied linguistics from University of Massachusetts - Boston
Every student pursuing a degree in a master's degree in applied linguistics needs to check out University of Oregon. Located in the midsize city of Eugene, UO is a public university with a fairly large student population. A Best Master's Degree Schools rank of #461 out of 1,305 colleges nationwide means UO is a great university overall.
There were roughly 10 applied linguistics students who graduated with this degree at UO in the most recent data year.More information about a master’s in applied linguistics from University of Oregon
Applied Linguistics by Region
View the Best Applied Linguistics Master's Degree Schools for a specific region near you.
|Far Western US|
Rankings in Majors Related to Applied Linguistics
One of 5 majors within the Linguistics & Comparative Literature area of study, Applied Linguistics has other similar majors worth exploring.
Most Popular Majors Related to Applied Linguistics
|Related Major||Annual Graduates|
|Other Linguistic, Comparative, & Related Language Studies & Services||27|
Notes and References
- The bars on the spread charts above show the distribution of the schools on this list +/- one standard deviation from the mean.
- The Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), a branch of the U.S. Department of Education (DOE) serves as the core of the rest of our data about colleges.
- Some other college data, including much of the graduate earnings data, comes from the U.S. Department of Education’s (College Scorecard).
- Credit for the banner image above goes to Pandit Rahul Sanskrutayan, Banshidhar Mohanty. More about our data sources and methodologies.