Engineering at Purdue University - Main Campus

Engineering at Purdue University - Main Campus

We've gathered data and other essential information about the program, such as the ethnicity of students, how many students graduated in recent times, and more. Also, learn how Purdue ranks among other schools offering degrees in engineering.

Jump to any of the following sections:

Engineering Degrees Available at Purdue

Purdue Engineering Rankings

Purdue was ranked #53 on College Factual's most recent list of the best schools for engineering majors. This puts the bachelor's program at the school solidly in the top 15% of all colleges and universities in the country. It is also ranked #3 in Indiana.

Ranking Type Rank
Most Popular Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Engineering 1
Most Popular Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Engineering 3
Most Focused Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Engineering 9
Most Popular Master’s Degree Colleges for Engineering 11
Best Engineering Master’s Degree Schools 40
Most Focused Master’s Degree Colleges for Engineering 43
Best Engineering Bachelor’s Degree Schools 46
Best Engineering Doctor’s Degree Schools 48
Most Focused Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Engineering 58
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Engineering 64
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Engineering 67
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Engineering 101

Popularity of Engineering at Purdue

During the 2019-2020 academic year, Purdue University - Main Campus handed out 2012 bachelor's degrees in engineering. Due to this, the school was ranked #2 in popularity out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is an increase of 4% over the previous year when 1,928 degrees were handed out.

In 2020, 667 students received their master’s degree in engineering from Purdue. This makes it the #16 most popular school for engineering master’s degree candidates in the country.

In addition, 281 students received their doctoral degrees in engineering in 2020, making the school the #3 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

Purdue Engineering Students

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the engineering majors at Purdue University - Main Campus.

Purdue Engineering Bachelor’s Program

The engineering program at Purdue awarded 2,012 bachelor's degrees in 2019-2020. About 74% of these degrees went to men with the other 26% going to women.

undefined

The majority of the students with this major are white. About 53% of 2020 graduates were in this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Purdue University - Main Campus with a bachelor's in engineering.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 209
Black or African American 39
Hispanic or Latino 87
White 1,075
Non-Resident Aliens 463
Other Races 139

Purdue Engineering Master’s Program

The engineering program at Purdue awarded 773 master's degrees in 2019-2020. About 73% of these degrees went to men with the other 27% going to women.

undefined

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Purdue University - Main Campus with a master's in engineering.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 50
Black or African American 6
Hispanic or Latino 20
White 286
Non-Resident Aliens 397
Other Races 14

Engineering Majors

Engineering students may decide to major in one of the following focus areas. Individual majors may not be available for all degree levels.

Major Annual Graduates
Mechanical Engineering 557
Aerospace & Aeronautical Engineering 410
Electrical Engineering 399
Industrial Engineering 378
Civil Engineering 263
Chemical Engineering 245
Computer Engineering 219
Agricultural Engineering 171
Other Engineering 120
Materials Engineering 100
Biomedical Engineering 100
Environmental Engineering 64
General Engineering 46
Nuclear Engineering 38
Construction Engineering 29

Majors Similar to Engineering

Related Major Annual Graduates
Computer & Information Sciences 1,010
Engineering Technologies 818
Agriculture & Agriculture Operations 721
Mathematics & Statistics 344
Biological & Biomedical Sciences 329

View All Engineering Related Majors >

References

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Find Schools Near You