2023 Best Japanese Language & Literature Master's Degree Schools
College Factual reviewed 5 schools in the United States to determine which ones were the best for master's degree seekers in the field of Japanese language and literature. Combined, these schools handed out 19 master's degrees in Japanese language and literature to qualified students.
Jump to one of the following sections: * Our Methodology
Choosing a Great Japanese Language & Literature School for Your Master's Degree
Your choice of Japanese language and literature for getting your master's degree school matters. Important measures of a quality Japanese language program can vary widely even among the top schools. When choosing a school we recommend considering some of the following factors:
Quality Overall Is Important
A school that excels in educating for a particular major and degree level must be a great school overall as well. To make it into this list a school must rank well in our overall Best Colleges for a Master's Degree ranking. This ranking considered factors such as graduation rates, overall graduate earnings and other educational resources to identify great colleges and universities.
Other Factors We Consider
In addition to the above, you should consider some of the following factors:
- Major Focus - How many resources a school devotes to Japanese language and literature students as compared to other majors.
- Major Demand - How many other Japanese language and literature students want to attend this school to pursue a master's degree.
- Educational Resources - The amount of money and other resources allocated to students while they are pursuing their degree. These resources include such things as number of students per instructor and education expenditures per student.
- Accreditation - Whether a school is regionally accredited and/or accredited by a recognized Japanese language and literature related body.
Our complete ranking methodology documents in more detail how we consider these factors to identify the best colleges for Japanese language and literature students working on their master's degree.
One Size Does Not Fit All
When choosing the right school for you, it's important to arm yourself with all the facts you can. To that end, we've created a number of major-specific rankings, including this Best Japanese Language & Literature Master's Degree Schools list to help you make the college decision.
Best Schools for Master’s Students to Study Japanese Language & Literature in the United States
Top Schools for a Master's in Japanese Language
It is difficult to beat University of Wisconsin - Madison if you wish to pursue a master's degree in Japanese language and literature. Located in the city of Madison, UW - Madison is a public university with a very large student population.More information about a master’s in Japanese language and literature from University of Wisconsin - Madison
University of Massachusetts Amherst is a wonderful choice for students pursuing a master's degree in Japanese language and literature. Located in the large suburb of Amherst, UMass Amherst is a public university with a very large student population.More information about a master’s in Japanese language and literature from University of Massachusetts Amherst
Indiana University - Bloomington is one of the finest schools in the country for getting a master's degree in Japanese language and literature. IU Bloomington is a fairly large public university located in the small city of Bloomington.More information about a master’s in Japanese language and literature from Indiana University - Bloomington
University of Hawaii at Manoa is a great option for individuals pursuing a master's degree in Japanese language and literature. UH Manoa is a large public university located in the city of Honolulu.More information about a master’s in Japanese language and literature from University of Hawaii at Manoa
Portland State University is a fairly large public university located in the large city of Portland.More information about a master’s in Japanese language and literature from Portland State University
Japanese Language & Literature by Region
View the Best Japanese Language & Literature Master's Degree Schools for a specific region near you.
|Far Western US|
Rankings in Majors Related to Japanese Language
Japanese Language & Literature is one of 4 different types of East Asian Languages programs to choose from.
Majors Similar to Japanese Language
|Related Major||Annual Graduates|
|East Asian Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics, General||73|
|Chinese Language & Literature||34|
|Other East Asian Languages||15|
|Korean Language & Literature||2|
Notes and References
- The bars on the spread charts above show the distribution of the schools on this list +/- one standard deviation from the mean.
- The Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), a branch of the U.S. Department of Education (DOE) serves as the core of the rest of our data about colleges.
- Some other college data, including much of the graduate earnings data, comes from the U.S. Department of Education’s (College Scorecard).
- Credit for the banner image above goes to Betoseha. More about our data sources and methodologies.
Featured Foreign Language Schools
Southern New Hampshire University
You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs ... Learn More >